Republished from thestar.com February 3, 2011
Toronto G20 Summit»
A Toronto police officer now faces a second assault charge in connection with last summer’s G20 protests.
In December, the Star published a photo of an officer wielding a baton at a Torontoist blogger Wyndham Bettencourt-McCarthy.
Bettencourt-McCarthy, 23, is out of the country and could not be reached for comment, but in December she told the Star she had been struck twice during the protest at Queen’s Park and left with a welt on her right hip.
“I got hit from behind by an officer,” she said. “He struck me twice. Then he turned, and I ran.”
Const. Babak Andalib-Goortani, who has three years service, was arrested Tuesday and charged with assault with a weapon.
The Toronto Police Service said Wednesday that the latest charge followed a complaint received by the office of the Independent Police Review Director.
He is scheduled to appear in court at College Park on March 7.
In December, Andalib-Goortani was charged with assault by the province’s Special Investigations Unit after another officer identified him as the badgeless officer seen in a video apparently wielding a baton during the Queen’s Park takedown of protester Adam Nobody.